Monday, May 6, 2013

Visitors

I finally had my first family members come visit me this weekend. It only took me living in ATL for 3+ years and getting married for it to happen. Kirsten and James came for a visit. Unfortunately, Atlanta didn't get the weather memo and didn't live up to its nickname of Hotlanta. Friday was overcast but at least it didn't rain, but Saturday made up for that by being downright soggy all day. Despite the weather we still had some good times.

Friday we made out way down to Madison Georgia. It is part of the Antebellum Trail, meaning it has a lot of really old, well kept houses. One of the residents persuaded Sherman to spare it on his March due to it's beautiful houses. We toured a few houses, viewed many more from the outside and then headed for the famous southern buffet at the Blue Willow Inn in the neighboring town of Social Circle. It was delicious and I'm sure will be a prime contributor to any heart disease I experience in the future. Since we knew it would be raining Saturday we had to forgo the Stone Mountain Laser Show Extravaganza (I was most upset about them missing this) and instead just went and hiked Stone Mountain Friday night while the weather was still good. We topped it off with some delicious Vietnamese food and a spirited game of Family Business. Mob games seem more than appropriate when ones family comes to town.

Saturday we kicked it hipster-style for breakfast and gorged ourselves on the delicious breakfast food of Highland Bakery. Sweet potato pancakes, peanut-butter french toast with carmelized bananas, fresh squeezed orange juice, bacon... need I say more? Once we rolled ourselves out of there we went to visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Historical sites. I have been before but this time, perhaps due to the rain, we took more time and even caught a presentation where a man does a reenactment of the last five minutes of the I have a dream speech. Very Powerful! Then we went to see Iron Man:) and capped the night off with a spirited game of Risk. Kirsten is the worst loser ever and by that I mean she really wanted to lose so she could go to bed but kept winning battles and taking over countries in her suicide mission. James, who was trying a lot more than Kirsten got out sooner than she did. Sunday morning we bade farewell to our weekend guests and look forward to the next time friends or family take us up on our invitation to come visit.

Madison

Hiking Stone Mountain


1 comment:

  1. The plant behind my head in the first photo makes my hair look bigger than normal.

    ReplyDelete